1940’s – 1950’s – Rise of a Rescue Squad

In the 1940’s the Arbor Rescue Squad came into it’s stride being a very active member of the 2nd District of the New Jersey State First Aid Council (NJSFAC, now the EMS Council of New Jersey as of 2015). The squad was always among the first squads to mobilized in disaster situations such as plane crashes or mass training drills. In 1947 we were able to purchase a brand new Buick Ambulance.

Arbor Rescue marching in a parade, circa 1940's.
Arbor Rescue marching in a parade, circa 1940’s.
1944 Article about the NJSFAC Page 1
1944 Article about the NJSFAC Page 1
1944 Article about the NJSFAC Page 2
1944 Article about the NJSFAC Page 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On duty during a community event, 1947.
On duty during a community event, 1947.
New 1947 Buick Ambulance
New 1947 Buick Ambulance

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The 1950’s were an extremely exciting time for the rescue squad, the Arbor Rescue Squad was very active and well respected in the township and surrounding communities.  So much so that they would commonly conduct drills with the Civil Air Patrol out of Hadley Airfield (which is today the area the Holiday Inn, Middlesex Mall, & Kohl’s occupy) and Camp Kilmer Military base (now decommissioned in Edison by the Piscataway VoTech). In 1950 the squad raised enough money to buy a very unique and new piece of equipment, a Portable Iron Lung, to help stabilize and treat Polio victims. During 1952, the Arbor Rescue Squad’s very own Arthur Reicher was elected the President of the New Jersey State First Aid Council.

Portable Iron Lung Article
Portable Iron Lung Article
Arbor Rescue Purchases a Portable Iron Lung
Arbor Rescue Purchases a Portable Iron Lung

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arbor Rescue Parade Float, circa 1950's
Arbor Rescue Parade Float, circa 1950’s
MVC South Washington Ave., circa 1950's
MVC South Washington Ave., circa 1950’s

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Arthur Reicher Elected NJSFAC President, 1952
Arthur Reicher Elected NJSFAC President, 1952
Ladies Auxiliary, 1953
Ladies Auxiliary, 1953

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950's
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950’s
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950's
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950’s

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950's
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950’s
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950's
Civil Air Patrol Drill, circa early 1950’s

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then in 1954 with the amazing support of the Piscataway Lions Club, the squad was finally able to start construction of it’s very own building. With rising call volumes and increased support in the community, they needed their own facility apart from the Arbor Hose Company to do their own good deeds for the people from. It took many years of hard work to raise the money, get local contractors and tradesmen to donate their machinery, skills, and materials. Most of the building’s exterior and interior would not be completely finished until the the late 1950’s, and even into the beginning of the 1960’s.